Mitton is an Ancient Parish partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire.

Alternative names: Great Mitton

Other places in the parish include: West Bradford, Pagefold, Great Mitton, Crook, and Bashall Eaves.

Riding: West Riding

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1610
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1632

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Whalley
  • Slaidburn
  • Whitewell
  • Waddington
  • Clitheroe

Historical Descriptions

Mitton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MITTON, a parish in the district of Clitheroe, and partly in Lancashire, but chiefly in W. R. Yorkshire; including a peninsular tract at the confluence of the rivers Hodder and Ribble, 2¼ miles SW of Clitheroe r. station. It was once a part of Whalley parish; and it contains the hamlets of Chaigley, Aighton, and Bailey in Lancashire, and the townships of Great Mitton, Bashall-Eaves, Waddington, West Bradford, and Grindleton in W. R. Yorkshire. Post town, Clitheroe, under Blackburn. Acres of the Lancashire portion, 5,780. Real property, £6,726; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,613; in 1861, 1,500. Houses 244. Acres of the Yorkshire portion, 12,323. Real property, £15,476. Pop. in 1851, 2,203; in 1861, 1,903. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. W. Aspinall, Esq. The scenery is picturesque. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £180. Patron, J. W. Aspinall, Esq. The church was built in the time of Edward III.; belonged to Cockersand abbey; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and low tower; and contains effigies and tombs of the Sherburns. The p. curacies of Grindleton, Hurst-Green, and Waddington, are separate benefices. There are Wesleyan chapels in Grindleton and Waddington, a national school in Grindleton, alms houses in Grindleton and Waddington, and charities £9 in Great Mitton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Agden

Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822

Agden, s. h. in the township of Bashalleves, and parish of Mitton, liberty of Staincliffe; 5 miles from Clitheroe, (Lanc.)

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.

Baines History Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York 1822

Agden, in the parish of Mitton, and wap. and liberty of Staincliffe, 12 miles SW. of Gisburn.

Source: History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York by Edward Baines. Printed and Published by Edward Baines, at the Leeds Mercury office; and sold by Hurst and Robinson, 90, Cheapside, London, and all other booksellers. 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Clitheroe
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Craven
Poor Law Union: Clitheroe
Hundred: Staincliff and Ewcross
Province: York