Barlby Yorkshire Family History Guide
Barlby is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1726 from chapelry in Hemingbrough Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Barlby Bank.
Riding: East Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1780
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1781
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARLBY, a chapelry in Hemingbrough parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ouse, 1 mile N of the Leeds and Hull railway, and 1¾ NE of Selby. It includes Barlby-Bank hamlet; and its Post Town is Selby. Acres, 1,411. Real property, £2,825. Pop., 471. Houses, 95. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £65. Patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough. The church is good. Charities, £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Barlby, in the parish of Hemingbrough, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, liberty of Howdenshire; 2 miles from Selby, 8 from Howden, 13 from York. – Pop. 349. The Church is a perpetual curacy under Hemingbrough, valve, p.r. £78.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Civil Registration District: Selby
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Durham within the Jurisdiction of Howden and Howdenshire
Rural Deanery: Bulmer
Poor Law Union: Selby
Hundred: Ouse and Derwent