Brightside is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1845 from Attercliffe Ecclesiastical Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Nursery and Wicker, Nursery, Neepsend, Grimesthorpe, Crabtree, Brightside Bierlow, and Bridgehouses.

Alternative names: Brightside with Grimesthorpe, Sheffield St Thomas

Riding: West Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1846
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Tinsley
  • Brightside All Saints – see below
  • Kimberworth
  • Pitsmoor
  • Ecclesfield
  • Attercliffe

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRIGHTSIDE, a village, a chapelry, a township, and a subdistrict in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Sheffield and Rotherham railway 2¼ miles NE of Sheffield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 10,101. Houses, 2,104. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron, altern. the Crown and the Archbishop. One church was built in 1854; and another, at a cost of nearly £12,000, in 1869. The township bears the name of Brightside-Bierlow; and includes Bridgehouses, Nursery, and Wicker, which are suburbs of Sheffield, as also the villages of Crabtree, Grimesthorpe, and Neepsend. Acres, 2,690. Real property, £85,768; of which £1,666 are in mines and quarries. Pop. 29,818. Houses, 6,243. There are cutlery-works, rolling-mills, a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, a library, national schools, and charities £41. The subdistrict is conterminate with the township.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Brightside All Saints

The parish of All Saints was created from St Thomas’ Brightside in 1869. All Saints’ Church closed in 1977 and was demolished in 1978.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1848

Alternative names: Sheffield All Saints, Ellesmere Road

Riding: West Riding

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1865
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Sheffield St Peter and St Paul
  • Wicker
  • Brightside
  • Pitsmoor
  • Attercliffe

Parish Records

Brightside (Sheffield) All Saints Parish Records National Archives reference: PR 43

Description of records:

Baptism registers 1869-1977;

Marriage registers 1869-1979;

Benefice, letters and papers re foundation and finance of the benefice 1869-1957;

National School records (papers, plans and reports) 1869-1957;

personal papers of Rev C F Knight, vicar 1896-1911;

Banns registers 1869-1964;

Registers of Service 1887-1895, 1893-1908, and parochial register with annual statistics 1892-1896;

Church Fabric and Property records 1866-1970s;

Property and Income of the Benefice, records 1869-1972;

Church finance 1910-1976;

miscellaneous other records

All the above records are available from Sheffield City Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Yorkshire
Civil Registration District: Sheffield
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: York
Rural Deanery: Doncaster
Poor Law Union: Sheffield
Hundred: Strafforth and Tickhill
Province: York