Brayton with Barlow Yorkshire Family History Guide
Brayton with Barlow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Other places in the parish include: Thorpe Willoughby, Hambleton, Gateforth, Burn, and Barlow.
Riding: West Riding
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1614
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1617
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Sherburn in Elmet
- Monk Fryston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAYTON, a township and a parish in Selby district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Selby canal, between the rivers Ouse and Aire, and on the Leeds and Selby railway, 1½ mile WSW of Selby. Acres, 1,790. Real property, £2,976. Pop., 367. Houses, 80. The parish contains also the townships of Gateforth, Hambleton, Thorpe-Willoughby, Burn, and Barlow; and its Post Town is Selby. Acres, 10,820. Real property, £15,983. Pop., 1,794. Houses, 376. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £355. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is of various dates and character, from Norman downward; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty west steeple; shows much beautiful Norman work; is in very good condition; and contains a fine sculptured font of 1861. The chapelries of Gateforth and Barlow are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £41.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Barlow, in the parish of Brayton, wapentake of Barkston-Ash, liberty of Pontefract; 3 miles from Selby, 5 from Snaith, 13 from Pontefract. – Pop. 175.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Civil Registration District: Selby
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Selby
Rural Deanery: New Ainsty
Poor Law Union: Selby
Hundred: Barkstone Ash