Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Barmby Marsh, Barmby on the Derwent, Howden St Helen
Riding: East Riding
Parish church: St Helen
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1777
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1790
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists
- Holme in Spalding Moore
- Gilberdike Mill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARMBY-ON-THE-MARSH, a township-chapelry in Howden parish, E. R. Yorkshire; at the confluence of the Derwent and the Ouse, 2 miles SSW of Wressel r. station, and 4½ W of Howden. Post Town, Hemingborough under Howden. Acres, 1,711. Real property, £3,812. Pop., 456. Houses, 103. Some of the inhabitants are sacking-makers. There are two mineral springs, chalybeate and sulphurous. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £30. Patron, the Vicar of Howden. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £106.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Barmby-on-the-Marsh, or Derwent, in the parish of Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, 3¾ miles from Howden, 7 from Selby. – Pop. 525. – The Church is a perpetual curacy under Howden, value, p.r. £36 10s.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Civil Registration District: Howden
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Durham within the Jurisdiction of Howden and Howdenshire
Rural Deanery: Harthill and Hull
Poor Law Union: Howden