Addingham Baines History Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York 1822
Addingham, (P.) in the wap. of Staincliffe and liberty of Clifford’s Fee; 6 miles E. of Skipton. This is a populous and thriving village, the inhabitants of which are chiefly employed in the manufacture of cotton. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is pleasantly situated on an eminence, near the river Wharf; it is an ancient structure, and the present rector is the Rev. John Coates; Mrs. Mary Cunliffe is patroness in her own right. Here is also a spacious and well-built Methodist Chapel, erected in 1778, which was enlarged in 1808; a small distance from this place there is a Meetinghouse for the people called Friends; and about one mile from hence are the remains of a Roman camp. Population 1570.
Post-master, Thos. Lister. Letters are delivered at 8 morning, and are sent off at 3 afternoon.
Cunliffe T. L. Holme house
Cunliffe William, Esq. Far field hall
Dean Ambrose, gentleman
Bond and Cockcroft, stuff mfrs.
Bradley James, millstone mfr.
Dawson Daniel, saddler
Fawcett W. and J., whitesmiths
Lister Thomas, tallow chandler
Mills James, plumber and glazier
Spencer Marmaduke, vict. King’s Arms
Spencer William, chemist & druggist
Will Richard, vict. Golden Fleece
Wall John and Thomas, corn millers
Whittam John and Co., warp sizers
Whittam and Co., worsted spinners
Wilkinson Henry, ironmonger
Holden J. H.
Bland Anthony, (& draper)
Bond & Cockcroft
Fentiman Anthony and Sons
Robinson T. & Co.
Grocers & Drapers
Cockshott S. & M.
The Accommodation Coach to Leeds, Mon. Tu. Thur. and Sat. at 7 mg. to Skipton same days, at 8 evg.
Carriers. – Beanland Thomas
Beck Thos. to Manchester every Tues.
Brumfit Geo. to Skipton, daily
Lister Edward, to Skipton, daily
Wall Richard & Wingate Richard
Source: History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York by Edward Baines. Printed and Published by Edward Baines, at the Leeds Mercury office; and sold by Hurst and Robinson, 90, Cheapside, London, and all other booksellers. 1822.