Addingham Yorkshire Family History Guide
Addingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire.
Riding: West Riding
Other places in the parish include: Beamsley.
Parish church: St. Swithin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1612
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
- Primitive Methodist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Bolton Abbey
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ADDINGHAM, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township adjoins the river Wharfe, 4 miles NNW of Kildwick and Crosshills r. station, and 6 ESE of Skipton; and has a post office under Leeds. It formerly carried on much industry in cotton, worsted, and woollen factories; but began to suffer great reverses about 1835. Fairs are held on 22 March, 16 April, and 3 Oct. Acres, 4,293. Pop. in 1831, 2,179; in 1861, 1,859. Houses, 420. The parish includes also part of the township of Beamsley. Acres, 5,472. Real property, £7,478. Pop., 1,938. Houses, 440. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £360 Patron, Mrs. M. Cunliffe. The church is Norman, was restored in 1858, and stands in a beautiful situation. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £13. The subdistrict comprises all Addingham parish, and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 22,890. Pop., 3,157. Houses, 685.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Addingham Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Addingham, 5 miles E. S.E. Skipton. P. 1812
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Addingham The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Addingham, a parish and township, partly in the wapentake of Claro, and partly in that of Staincliffe, Skipton union, west riding of Yorkshire; 6 miles east by south of Ripton. The parish includes part of the township of Beamsley. Living, a discharged rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of York, now in the dio. of Ripon; rated at £9 7s. 8d., in the parliamentary return at £122 18s. 10d.; gross income £133. The church is much admired for its fine situation. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs Mary Cunliffe. There are here a Methodist chapel, and a Quaker meeting-house; also two National schools. The village of Addingham, in 1838, contained two worsted, one woollen, and two cotton-mills, employing 472 hands. The river Wharfe flows through this parish. Pop. of the township, in 1801, 1,157; in 1831, 2,179, and of the parish, 2,251. Houses 446. Acres 4,310. A. P. £6,117. Poor rates, in 1837, £410.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Addingham – Langdale A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822
Addingham, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford’s-Fee; 6 miles from Skipton, 7 from Keighley, 9 from Otley, 37 from York. – Pop. 1570. The Church is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter, in the deanery of Craven, value, 9l. 7s. 8½d. p.r. 122l. 18s. 10d. Patroness, Mrs. Mary Cuncliffe.
The Church is one of the neatest in Craven, with the antique parsonage house, stands at an agreeable distance from the village, on a lingual of land, between the Wharf and the deep channel of a brook, which unites with it immediately beneath. – Whittaker.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire By Thomas Langdale. Second Edition. Printed and Sold by J. Langdale; and sold by T. Langdale, Ripon. 1822.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Skipton
Probate Court: Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York
Diocese: Post-1835 – Ripon, Pre-1836 – York
Rural Deanery: Craven
Poor Law Union: Skipton
Hundred: Claro; Staincliff and Ewcross