Status: Ancient Parish

Other places in the parish include: Drove Fen, Murrow, Swan Gull

Parish church: St. Leonard and St. John the Baptist

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558; see also Parson Drove
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600

Nonconformists include:

  • Independent/Congregational
  • Primitive Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Walsoken
  • Parson Drove
  • Wisbech St Mary
  • Tydd St Mary
  • Newton in the Isle
  • Wisbech St Augustine
  • West Walton
  • Wisbech St Peter and St Paul

Historical Descriptions

Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1895

Leverington, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands near the boundary with Norfolk, 1 mile W of the river Nen, and 1 NW by N of Wisbech station on the M.R., and 2 miles NW of Wisbech station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Wisbech; money order and telegraph office, Wisbech. The parish includes the township and ecclesiastical parish of Parson Drive, the ecclesiastical parishes of Gorefield and Southea-cum-Murrow, noticed separately, and the hamlet of Fitten End. Acreage, 8393; population, 1879. The surface was formerly fen, but now in general has a rich loamy soil. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £290 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church, an ancient building of Barnack stone, chiefly in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, was partly restored in 1846 and again in 1877; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, side chapel, and porch, with tower and spire; and contains sedilia, an ancient font, and several mural tablets. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. A chantry was formerly at Fitton End, and an hospital was anciently at the village. There are an endowed school and other charities about £300 a year, with nineteen houses which are let rent free to poor persons. Bishop Warren and Nasmith the editor of Tanner’s “Notitia” were rectors.

Source: Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales; Brabner, John Henry Fryden; Volume: 4; William Mackenzie, London. 1895.

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LEVERINGTON, a village, a parish, and a dis-district, in Wisbeach district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundary with Norfolk, 1 mile W of the river Nen, and 2 NW by N of Wisbeach r. station; and has a post office under Wisbeach. The parish contains also the hamlets of Drove-Fen, Swan-Gull, and Murrow, and the chapelry of Parson-Drove. Acres, 7,871. Real property, £21,249. Pop., 2,143. Houses, 460. The property is subdivided; and several of the landowners farm their own estates. The surface was formerly fen; but now, in general, has a rich loamy soil. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £2,350. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is early English; was restored and beautified in 1856; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire; and contains sedilia, an ancient font, and several monuments. The p. curacy of Parson-Drove is a separate benefice. A chantry was formerly at Fitten-End; and an hospital was anciently at the village. There are an endowed school with £48 a year, and other charities, with £450. Bishop Warren and Nasmith the editor of Tanner’s “Notitia,” were rectors. The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 25,524. Pop., 5,385. Houses, 1.178.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Cambridgeshire
Civil Registration District: Wisbeach
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Ely
Rural Deanery: Wisbech
Poor Law Union: Wisbech
Hundred: Wisbech
Province: Canterbury

Photographs