Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1688
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on a tributary of the Cam river, and on the Hitchin and Cambridge railway, 3 miles SW of Cambridge. It has a post office under Cambridge. Acres, 1,812. Real property, £3,803. Pop., 324. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £156. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church has a brass of 1593, and is good. The rectorial tithes were given to Merton priory.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Barton, a parish in the hund. of Wetherley, union of Chesterton, county of Cambridge; 3½ miles south-west of Cambridge. Living, a vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Ely; rated at £8 11s. 3d., in the parliamentary returns at £125; gross income £156. Patron, the bishop of Ely. Here was formerly a rectory; but, according to Blomefield, — “the rectory was appropriated to Merton priory, the collation of the vicars being reserved to the see for the license of appropriation. The rectory was valued at £26 13s. 4d.” The parish possesses an infant and a Sunday school. Pop., in 1801, 218; in 1831, 284. Houses 63. Acres 1,500. A.P. £1,107. Poor rates, in 1837, £231.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Civil Registration District: Chesterton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Barton
Poor Law Union: Chesterton