Bradninch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.

Other places in the parish include: Hele.

Parish church: St. Disen

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606

Nonconformists include:

  • Baptist
  • Bible Christian Methodist
  • Independent/Congregational
  • Particular Baptist
  • Presbyterian
  • Society of Friends/Quaker
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Silverton
  • Broad Clyst
  • Cullompton
  • Butterleigh

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRADNINCH, a small town and a parish in Tiverton district, Devon. The town stands on an eminence, 1 mile N of Hele r. station, and 2 SW of Collumpton. It was anciently called Braines; and it gives the title of Baron, under that name, to the Dukes of Cornwall. It dates from the Saxon times; and is thought by some to be older than Exeter. It was the headquarters of King Charles and his army, on two occasions in 1644; and the headquarters of Fairfax’s army in October 1645. It was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1665; and it is now a poor place, consisting chiefly of one street. It sent members to parliament from the time of Edward II. till that of Henry VII.; and was long a market-town. It has a post office under Collumpton; and fairs are held at it on the first Wednesday of April and the third Wednesday of Sept. The town hall was built in the time of Henry VI., and repaired in 1858. An old jail, with capacity for two male and two female prisoners, was restored in 1835, and is still in use. The parish church is later perpendicular English; was recently restored; and contains a fine screen of 1528, and an old painting of the crucifixion. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and charities £70. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hele. Acres, 4,351. Real property, £9,762. Pop., 1,796. Houses, 388. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. Bradninch House is an interesting old mansion, formerly the seat of the Sainthill family, now the seat of G. Pearse, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £185. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Ancestry – Census & Voter Lists Birth, Marriage & Death Military Immigration & Emigration Directories & Member Lists Court, Land, Wills & Financial

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Tiverton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Plymtree
Poor Law Union: Tiverton
Hundred: Hayridge
Province: Canterbury

Further Reading

Memories from the Mill: A Collection of Historical Items of the Hamlet of Hele Which Lies on the Junctions of the Parishes of Bradninch, Silverton and Broaddyst Near Exeter in Devon by Paddy Nash

More Memories from the Mill: A Second Collection of Historical Items of the Hamlet of Hele Which Lies on the Junction of the Parishes of Bradninch, Silverton and Broadclyst Near Exeter in Devon by Paddy Nash