Bradford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Allemare.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
- Milton Damerel
- Black Torrington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRADFORD, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 5½ miles NE of Holsworthy, and 13 S by W of Bideford r. station. Post Town, Black Torrington, under Highampton, North Devon. Acres, 3,468. Real property, £2,130. Pop., 444. Houses, 91 The property is chiefly divided among four. Dunsland has a fine old baronial mansion; belonged, at the Conquest, to Walter de Cadiho; passed to the Arscotts and the Bickfords; and belongs now to the Cohams. Hengiscott has traces of a fortified camp, supposed to have been formed by the famous Hengist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £308. Patrons, the Rectors of East Down, Bratton-Fleming, and Goodleigh. The church is cruciform, and has a tower and some monuments; but is, or recently was, in very bad condition. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Holsworthy
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Holsworthy
Poor Law Union: Holsworthy
Hundred: Black Torrington