Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Bundleigh, Bundley

Parish church: St. James

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1754
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607

Nonconformists include:

  • Bible Christian Methodist
  • Plymouth Brethren

Adjacent Parishes

  • Sampford Courtenay
  • Coldridge
  • Zeal Monachorum
  • Honeychurch
  • North Tawton
  • Winkleigh
  • Monkokehampton
  • Broadwoodkelly

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BONDLEIGH, or Bundley, a parish in Okehampton district, Devon; on the river Taw, 2 miles NNW of North Tawton, and 4½ WSW of Morchard-Road r. station. Post Town, North Tawton, North Devon. Acres, 1,784. Real property, £1,666. Pop., 279. Houses, 58. The manor belongs to the Earl of Egremont. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £232. Patron, Heirs of E. of Egremont. The church is ancient, partly Norman, with a lofty square tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Ancestry – Census & Voter Lists Birth, Marriage & Death Military Immigration & Emigration Directories & Member Lists Court, Land, Wills & Financial

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Okehampton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Chumleigh
Poor Law Union: Okehampton
Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh
Province: Canterbury