Status: Chapelry

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1603; see also Ashburton
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1620

Nonconformists include:

  • Independent/Congregational
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Torbryan
  • East Ogwell
  • Ashburton
  • Holne
  • West Ogwell
  • Ilsington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BICKINGTON, a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; on the Lemon rivulet, 3½ miles NE of Ashburton, and 4 W of Newton-Junction r. station. It has a post office under Newton-Abbot. Acres, 1,375. Real property, £1,876. Pop., 294. Houses, 60. The surface abounds with large limestone rocks. There is a large serge manufactory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £220. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is an old edifice, with square tower; and there is a small Wesleyan chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Moreton
Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
Hundred: Teignbridge
Province: Canterbury

Further Reading

The Book of Bickington by Stuart Hands

Ashburton and its neighbourhood; or, the antiquities and history of … Ashburton … Buckland-in-the-Moor and Bickington, etc. by Charles Worthy

Tracing Your West Country Ancestors (Family History (Pen & Sword)) by Kirsty Gray