Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Berryn-arbor
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
- Plymouth Brethren
- Combe Martin
- East Down
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BERRYNARBOR, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands on an eminence, on the coast, 2½ miles E of Ilfracombe, and 9 N of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post office under Ilfracombe; and contains a richly sculptured mansion of the time of Edward IV. The parish comprises 4,958 acres. Real property, £5,235. Pop., 775. Houses, 184. The property is divided among a few. Bowden farmhouse was the birthplace of Bishop Jewel. A small circular camp occurs about ½ a mile from the shore. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £715. Patrons, the Bishop of Exeter and others. The church has a Norman arch, an early English chancel, a perpendicular nave, and a decorated, high, massive tower; and is in tolerable condition. There is an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Shirwell
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple