Frithelstock Devon Family History Guide
Frithelstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Frithelstockstone, Milford, and Frithelstock Stone.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Buckland Brewer
- Newton St Petrock
- Little Torrington
- Great Torrington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FRITHELSTOCK, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; adjacent to the river Torridge, 2 miles W of Great Torrington, and 4½ S by E of Bideford r. station. It contains the hamlets of Frithelstock-Stone and Milford; and its post town is Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 4,382. Real property, £3,382. Pop., 635. Houses, 127. The property is divided among a few. A small Augnstinian priory was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by Sir Roger Beauchamp; and was given, along with the manor, by Henry VIII., to Arthur Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle; and the ruins of it still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £116. Patron, F T. Johns, Esq. The church is very ancient, and in tolerable condition. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians at Frithelstock-Stone. There are also charities £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Reasrch Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
Civil Registration District: Torrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Hartland
Poor Law Union: Torrington
The Augustinian Priory Of Frithelstock. With a description of the Ruins and some account of the Parish Church of Saint Mary, Saint Gregory and Saint Edmund by C.A. Ralegh Radford by R. Pearse C.A. Ralegh Radford Chope