Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Society of Friends/Quaker
- Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AVETON-GIFFORD, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands on the river Avon, 3½ miles NW of Kingsbridge, and 7½ S of Kingsbridge-Road r. station. It has a post office under Ivybridge; and was anciently a market-town. The parish comprises 3,052 acres of land, and 130 of water. Real property, £5,909. Pop., 839. Houses, 178. The property is much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the family of Gifford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £667. Patron, the Rev. W. P. Pitman. The church is early English and cruciform, with central tower; one of the finest old churches in South Devon; but is in indifferent condition. There are chapels for Baptists, Methodists, and Bible Christians, good national schools, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Reasrch Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Woodleigh
Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge