Ashreigney, Devon Family History Guide
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Ring Ash, Ring’s Ash, Ringsash
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHREIGNEY, or Ring’s-ash, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 4 miles WNW of Eggesford r. station, and 4 WSW of Chumleigh. Post Town, Chumleigh. Acres, 5,663. Real property, £3,718. Pop., 842. Houses, 169. The property is subdivided. The parish was a rendezvous of Fairfax in 1646, prior to his attack on Torrington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £335. Patron, the Rev. J. T. Johnson. The church is an ancient structure, of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with low square tower. Charities, £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Torrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Torrington
Poor Law Union: Torrington
Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh