Appledore is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created in 1841 from Northam Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Northam St Mary
Other places in the parish include: East Appledore and West Appledore.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1844
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
APPLEDORE, a seaport village and a chapelry in Northam parish, Devon. The village stands on the bay at the mouths of the rivers Torridge and Taw, 3 miles N of Bideford r. station; and has a head post office, designated Appledore, North Devon. It has pleasant environs, a fine bathing-beach, and good accommodation for strangers; so that it has become an esteemed watering place. It is a sub-port to Bideford; and a number of its inhabitants are engaged in the coasting trade and in dockyards. Hubba, the Dane, landed here in the time of King Alfred, but was taken in the neighbourhood, and put to death. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 2,210. Houses, 513. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Northam. The church is a neat edifice; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Reasrch Guide: Historical Research Using British Newspapers by Denise Bates
Civil Registration District: Bideford
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Hartland
Poor Law Union: Bideford