Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1630
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PITCHFORD, a village and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The village stands on an affluent of the river Severn, near Watling-street, 1¾ mile S by W of Berrington r. station, and 6 S S E of Shrewsbury; takes its name from a pitch or petroleum well; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 1,645 acres. Post-town, Berrington, under Shrewsbury. Real property, £2,511. Pop., 180. Houses, 32. The property is divided among a few. P. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £206. Patrons, the Heirs of the Earl of Liverpool. The church is old but good; and contains an effigies of a Templar, and monuments of the Otleys.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Atcham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Condover
Poor Law Union: Atcham