Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Chad
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1575
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1681
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORTON-IN-HALES, a village and a parish in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The village stands near the river Tern at the boundary with Stafford, 2½ miles ESE of Adderley r. station, and 3½ NE by N of Market-Drayton; will have a station on the Silverdale and Market-Drayton railway, in course of erection in 1867; and has a post-office, of the name of Norton, under Market-Drayton. The parish comprises 1,920 acres. Real property, £2,937. Pop., 309. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to E. F. Coulson, Esq. Bellaport House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £305. Patron, S. W. Silver, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1865; and is in the early English style. There are two schools, for boys and girls. Dr. Lightfoot, the Hebraist, was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Market Drayton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Market Drayton
Poor Law Union: Market Drayton
Hundred: North Bradford