Newtown is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Shropshire, created in 1745 from chapelry in Wem Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Northwood.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1779
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTOWN, a chapelry in Wem parish, Salop; 2 miles SSE of the boundary with Wales, and 3 NW of Wem r. station. Post-town, Wem, under Shrewsbury. The statistics are returned with the parish. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield Value, £80. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church was rebuilt in 1869, and is in the early English style. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Newtown Parish Registers 1779 to 1812 – Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Wem
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wem
Poor Law Union: Wem
Hundred: North Bradford