Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: None
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWCASTLE, a parochial division and a chapelry in Clun parish, Salop. The division lies on the river Clun, at the S side of Clun forest, near Offa’s dyke, 3½ miles W N W of Clun, and 6½ S W of Bishops-Castle r. station; and has a post-office under Little Brampton, Shropshire. Pop., 314. Houses, 63. The chapelry is larger than the division, and was constituted in 1849. Pop., 580. Houses, 123. The property is much subdivided. An ancient castle of the Fitzalans stood here; was destroyed by Owen Glendower; and is now represented by some ruins. Caer-Caradoc, where Caractacus was defeated by Ostorius, and traces of an ancient British camp, are in the neighbourhood. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £160. Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Clun
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Clun