Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Morveild, Morvill, Morville with Aston Eyre
Parish church: St. George
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1638
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORVILL, a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Severn, 3 miles W by N of Bridgnorth r. station; and has a post office under Bridgnorth. The parish contains also the township of Aston-Eyre, and comprises 5,166 acres. Real property, not separately returned. Pop., 507. Houses, 101. The property is divided among five. Aldenham Hall is a chief residence. A priory, a cell to Shrewsbury abbey, was anciently here. The parish is a meet for the Wheatland hounds. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of Aston Eyre, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £204. Patron, Lord Sudeley. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. A Roman Catholic chapel is at Aldenham Hall. Charities, £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth