Moreton Corbet is an Ancient Parish in the county of Shropshire.
Other places in the parish include: Preston Brockhurst.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1631
Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren and Primitive Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORETON-CORBET, a village and a parish in Wem district, Salop. The village stands on the river Roden, 3¾ miles E of Yorton r. station, and 4¾ SE of Wem. The parish contains also part of the township of Preston Brockhurst, which has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2,140. Rated property, £2,418. Pop., 255. Houses, 51. The manor and all the land belong to Sir V. R. Corbet, Bart. Moreton-Corbet Castle was erected in the 16th century, on the site of a previous castle; was burnt in the civil war of Charles I.; and is now a fine ruin. Several mills are on the Roden. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £361. Patron, Sir V. R. Corbet, Bart. The church is ancient; has a tower and several stained windows; and contains ancient effigies and monuments of the Corbets. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Moreton Corbet. A parish in the Whitchurch division of the hundred of Bradford, North, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Salop, and archdeaconry of Salop. 40 houses, 235 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles south-east of Wem.
Moreton Corbet Castle is the property of Sir Andrew Corbet, Bart., of Acton Reynold. It is situated about 8 miles north of Shrewsbury. From its rich remains there can be little doubt that originally it was a magnificent pile; a considerable portion of the walls are still standing, but its roof has been some years demolished. Several dates may be discovered upon different parts of the building, but the time of its erection is uncertain. Although it has by no means the appearance of having been intended for a fortress, it is certain that it was garrisoned in 1614 by the parliament, against Charles the first. The King having possession of Shrewsbury and several places in the neighbourhood, the parliament sent part of the garrison from hence against Shrewsbury, which soon after surrendered to their forces. This castle, after for ages being the theatre of no common scenes, is now sunk into insignificance and dilapidation. Such are the changes of this transitory state! – A few sheep browsing on the bushes that vegetate in the crevices of its walls, serve to point out its desertion –
“Thus do these ivy mantled ruins,
Like hoary-headed age, nod o’er their own decay.”
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
The registers of Moreton Corbet, Shropshire. 1580-1812 – Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Wem
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wem
Poor Law Union: Wem
Hundred: North Bradford