Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1728
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON-SCRIVEN, a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop; 4 miles WNW of Hampton-Lode r. station, and 4½ SW of Bridgnorth. Post town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 786. Real property, £2,419. Pop., 111. Houses, 25. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £170. Patron, T. Walker, Esq. The church is good, and has several stained glass windows.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Middleton-Scriven, a parish in the hund. of Stottesden, union of Bridgenorth, county of Salop; 4½ miles south-west of Bridgenorth. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Salop and dio. of Hereford; rated at £4 6s. 8d., returned at £1 13 3s.; gross income £150. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. T. Rowley. Acres 1,170. Houses 20. A. P. £1,759. Pop., in 1801, 80; in 1831, 99. Poor rates, in 1838, £26 19s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
Shropshire Gazetteer 1824
Middleton Scriven. A parish in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesden, a rectory discharged, in the diocese of Hereford, the deanery of Stottesden, and archdeaconry of Salop. 19 houses, 86 inhabitants. 4 ½ miles south-west of Bridgnorth.
Source: The Shropshire Gazetteer, with an Appendix, including a Survey of the County and Valuable Miscellaneous Information, with Plates. Printed and Published by T. Gregory, Wem, 1824
Middleton Scriven Registers – Mel Lockie website
Civil Registration District: Bridgnorth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stottesdon
Poor Law Union: Bridgnorth