Last Updated on
Eglingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: East Lilburn, Ditchburn, Crawley, Branton, Brandon, Beanley, Bassington, Wooperton, West Lilburn, Titlington, Shipley, Plea Piece, Old Bewick, New Bewick, Hedgeley, Harup, Hareup, and Harehope.
Parish church: St. Maurice
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Methodist New Connexion and Presbyterian Church in England.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EGLINGHAM, a township in Alnwick district, and a parish partly also in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies between the rivers Alne and Breamish, 6 miles NW of Alnwick r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 1,946. Pop., 363. Houses, 73. The parish contains also the townships of Titlington, Crawley, Hedgeley, Beanley, Harehope, Ditchburn, Shipley, Bassington, West Lilburn, East Lilburn, Old Bewick, New Bewick, Wooperton, Brandon, and Branton. Acres, 23, 361. Real property, £19, 097; of which £62 are in mines. Pop., 1,845. Houses, 339. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Ogles. Much of the surface is moorland. Limestone, freestone, and coal abound. A mineral spring, impregnated with vitriol, issues from an old coal draining-drift. A lake of five acres, called Keemer Lough, is rich in perch and very large pike. There are ruins of an old Border tower, and vestiges of British and Roman camps. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the archdeaconship of Lindisfarne, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £835. The church is good; and there is a Presbyterian chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Alnwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
- Poor Law Union: Alnwick
- Hundred: Coquetdale Ward
- Province: York