Last Updated on

St Alban Earsdon a chapelry of Tynemouth ancient parish in the county of Northumberland until 1761 when Earsdon Ecclesiastical Parish was created.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Other places in the parish include: Seghill, Burradon, Backworth, Holywell, Hartley, Seaton-Delaval, and South Blyth, and the lordship of Newsham

Parish church: St Alban

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1589
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Cramlington
  • Horton
  • Tynemouth
  • Long Benton
  • Byker
  • Blyth
  • Sighill
  • Whitley

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EARSDON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Tynemouth district, Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, and on the North Shields and Blyth railway, 4 miles NNW of North Shields; and has a post office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 1,769; of which 978 are water. Pop., 577. Houses, 152.  The parish contains also the townships of Seghill, Burradon, Backworth, Holywell, Hartley, Seaton-Delaval, and South Blyth, and the lordship of Newsham; and it has railway stations for Hartley, Seaton-Delaval, Seghill, Newsham, and Blyth. Acres, 11,646. Real property, £71,375; of which £47,900 are in mines, £150 in quarries, £40 in fisheries, and £399 in gas-works. Pop., 12,444. Houses, 2,475. Two fearful colliery accidents occurred in this parish; the one in Burradon, in the beginning of 1860, with a loss of nearly 80 lives; the other in Hartley, in the beginning of 1862, with a loss of upwards of 200. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £119. Patrons, the Proprietors of Land. The ancient church belonged, from the 11th century, to Tynemouth priory; and a new church, an elegant structure on an eminence, with a conspicuous and imposing tower, was built in 1837. The p. curacies of Seghill and Seaton-Delaval, and the donative of Blyth, are separate benefices. There are several dissenting chapels. The sub-district is less than the parish by South Blyth and Newsham. Acres, 10,466. Pop., 9,543. Houses, 1,960.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Birth Marriage & Death

Census

Migration & Naturalization

Military

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Tynemouth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Poor Law Union: Tynemouth
  • Hundred: Castle Ward
  • Province: York