Falstone is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1811 from chapelry in Simonburn Ancient Parish.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1742
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1770
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FALSTONE, a village and a parish in Bellingham district, Northumberland. The village stands on the North Tyne river, adjacent to the Border Counties railway, 8 miles NW of Bellingham; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hexham. The parish includes the townships of Wellhaugh, Plashetts, and Tynehead. Acres, 57,600. Real property, £5,621. Pop. in 1851, 562; in 1861, 1,016. Houses, 141. The increase of population arose from the opening of the railway. The parish was formed out of Simonburn in 1811. The property is not much divided. The surface includes some valley-land, but is mainly moorish and mountainous. Game abounds; coal is plentiful; and there are several mineral springs. Numerous traces exist of strongholds of the ancient Britons; and there is a complete specimen of a border peel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £320. Patrons, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is good; and there is an English Presbyterian chapel. A man lived here in last century, who was born without hands or feet.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Falstone, a parish, in the union of Bellingham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 9½ miles (W. N. W) from Bellingham, and 25½ (N. W. by N.) from Hexham ; containing, with the townships of Plawskets and Wellhaugh, 560 inhabitants. This place, anciently Fast-stone, was formerly a chapelry in the very extensive parish of Simonburn, which was divided by act of parliament, in 1811, into six parishes, whereof this is one : it is bounded on the north-west by Scotland, is 12 miles in length, and comprises by computation 57,700 acres of wild, mountainous, and heathy land, affording good pasturage for sheep, and of which some portions, especially near the river, are a rich alluvial soil; the quantity of arable is very small. The North Tyne, over which a handsome and substantial stone bridge of three arches was erected in 1844, has its source in a morass, and in its progress through the parish receives the Kielder and numerous tributary streams ; in the same morass is also the source of the river Liddel, within a few yards only of the boundary between this place and Scotland, into which it takes its course. Coal, of a good bituminous quality, is abundant, and two collieries are in operation, for the supply of the district; freestone is quarried for building purposes, and there is also limestone. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Governors of Greenwich Hospital, with a neat and convenient glebe-house : the tithes have been commuted for £228. The church, a handsome structure, with a square tower, was rebuilt in 1823. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians ; and attached to the church is a Sunday school. Several springs are in the neighbourhood, one of which, near the head of the Tyne, is said to be equally efficacious with those of Gilsland Spa. At the Bells are the remains of an ancient religious building, contiguous to which is a cemetery. A gold coin of the Emperor Ccesar Magnentius Augustus, was found in Dec. 1843, in opening a grave in the churchyard : it is in a fine state of preservation, and is in the possession of the incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Foster.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Census & Lists – FamilySearch
Migration – FamilySearch
Military – FamilySearch
Probate & Court – FamilySearch
|New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Probate Records, 1843-1998||1 results|