Bedlington, Northumberland Family History Guide



Bedlington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.

Parish church: St. Cuthbert

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1760
Administration
  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Morpeth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Poor Law Union: Morpeth
  • Hundred: Bedlingtonshire
  • Province: York
Adjacent Parishes
  • Stannington
  • Horton
  • Woodhorn
  • Morpeth
  • Blyth
  • Bothal
Other Places in the Parish
  • East and West Sleakburn
  • Choppington
  • Chambois
  • Camboise
  • West Sleekburn
  • North Blyth
  • Netherton
  • East Sleekburn
Nonconformists
  • Baptist
  • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Methodist New Connexion
  • Presbyterian
  • Primitive Methodist
  • United Presbyterian Church of Scotland
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BEDLINGTON, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Morpeth Northumberland. The township lies on the river Blythe, and on the Morpeth and Tynemouth railway, 5 miles SE of Morpeth; it includes an irregularly built village, chiefly of one spacious street, about a mile long, commanding a fine seaward view; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Morpeth, and is a seat of petty sessions. The monks of Durham, at the Conquest, when fleeing to Lindisfarne with the remains of St. Cuthbert, rested a night here. The parish includes also the townships of North Blyth, Chambois, Choppington, Netherton, and East and West Sleakburn; and, prior to October 1844, it formed part of the county of Durham. Acres, 9,011; of which 523 are water. Real property, £45,326; of which £29,937 are in mines. Pop. in 1841, 3,155; in 1861, 8,328. Houses, 1,490. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown, and passed to the Bishops of Durham. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the coal-trade, in quarrying-works, in ironworks, and in chain and nail making. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £600. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1818. The vicarages of Chambois and Choppington are separate charges. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. There is also a mechanics’ institution. The Rev. F. Woodmas, the expositor of Chrysostom, was vicar from 1696 to 1710.-The subdistrict comprises three parishes, two parochial chapelries, parts of three other parishes, and part of another parochial chapelry. Acres, 50,622. Pop., 15,577. Houses, 2,822.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

Birth, Marriage, & Death – FamilySearch

Census – FamilySearch

Migration – FamilySearch

Military – FamilySearch

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920 362 results

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps