Shirehampton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1844 from chapelry in Westbury-on-Trym Ancient Parish.
- Chapelry of Westbury-on-Trym parish (until 1866)
- Tything (until 1866)
- Civil Parish (1866 – 1904)
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1727
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIREHAMPTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Westbury-on-Trym parish, Gloucester; on the river Avon, and on the Bristol Port and Pier railway, 5 miles NW by W of Bristol. It has a r. station, a post-office under Bristol, two good inns, and a dispensary. Real property, £5,224. Pop. in 1851, 632; in 1861, 731. Houses, 145. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, the Incumbent of Westbury. The church is cruciform. There are a national school and several small charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shirehampton, a chapelry in the parish of Westbury-upon-Trym, county of Gloucester; 5 miles north-west by west of Bristol, on the northern bank of the Avon. Living, a curacy annexed to that of Westbury-upon-Trym. Houses 105. Pop., in 1801, 354; in 1831, 420. Other returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
People from Shirehampton, Gloucestershire can be found in the following records.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records – FamilySearch
Census Records – FamilySearch
Migration Records – FamilySearch
Military Records – FamilySearch
Other Records – FamilySearch
Probate & Court Records – FamilySearch
|England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957||4 results|
|Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920||2 results|
|South Africa, Cape Province, Probate Records of the Master of the High Court, 1834-1989||2 results|
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
25 Mar 1885 was enlarged by gaining part of Westbury-on-Trym ancient parish
01 Oct 1901 was reduced to enlarge Bristol Civil Parish
01 Oct 1902 was reduced to enlarge Bristol Civil Parish
01 Oct 1904 was reduced to enlarge Bristol Civil Parish
01 Oct 1904 was abolished to enlarge Bristol Civil Parish
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Barton Regis / Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Barton Regis / Clifton
- Hundred: Henbury
- Province: Canterbury