Last Updated on

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St Cuthbert

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1662
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1741
Administration
  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Hexham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Hexham
  • Poor Law Union: Hexham
  • Hundred: Tindale
  • Province: York
Nearby Parishes

To be added

Other Places in the Parish
  • West Allendale
  • Catton
  • Keenty
  • Broadside-with-Forest
  • Allenheads
Nonconformists
  • Wesleyan Methodist
  • Primitive Methodist

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALLENDALE, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Hexham, Northumberland. The town stands on the Allen rivulet, and on the Allendale railway, 9 miles SW of Hexham. It has a post office. under Carlisle; and is a polling place. A weekly market is held on Friday; and fairs on the Friday after 12 May, and 29 Oct., and 22 Aug. The parish is cut into eight divisions (some of them called grieveships), Allendale town, Catton, Keenty, Broadside, High Forest, Low Forest, Park, and West Allen; and it contains the townships or villages of West Allendale, Catton, Keenty, Broadside-with-Forest, and Allenheads. Acres, 37,267. Real property, £64,716, of which £27,373 are in mines. Pop., 6,401. Houses, 1,155. Much of the surface is moorish, bleak, hilly, and mountainous. The property is much subdivided. Lead mines are worked to the extent of about 2,500 tons of metal in the year; and there are several smelting-houses, with very extensive flues. Coal also is worked; and some silver and rock crystal are found. Allenheads, at the sources of the Allen, 7 miles S of the town of Allendale, is in the neighbourhood of the lead mines, and has a post office of its own name under Carlisle. An ancient camp occurs at Old Town. The living of Allendale is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £250. Patron, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church was built in 1807. The p. curacies of St. Peter, Ninebanks, and West Allen are separate benefices. Values, £120, £150, and £100. Patron of all, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a free grammar school. The Allendale railway was authorized in 1865; joins the Newcastle and Carlisle near Hexham; was opened to Langley in 1867, to Catton-road in 1868; and was to be prolonged to Allenheads. The subdistrict of Allendale comprises Allendale parish and Haydon chap elry. Acres, 50,955. Pop., 8,622. Houses, 1,589.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

People from Allendale, Northumberland have been found in the following records.

Birth, Marriage, & Death Records – FamilySearch

Census Records – FamilySearch

Migration Records – FamilySearch

Military Records – FamilySearch

Probate & Court Records – FamilySearch

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957 9 results
South Africa, Cape Province, Probate Records of the Master of the High Court, 1834-1989 2 results
South Africa, Transvaal, Probate Records from the Master of the Supreme Court, 1869-1958 1 results

Directories

Allandale Town (Allendale) Northumberland Universal British Directory 1791

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Photographs