Last Updated on

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St Aidan

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Administration
  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Belford
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: Bamburgh
  • Poor Law Union: Belford
  • Hundred: Bambrough
  • Province: York
Nearby Parishes
  • Lucker
  • Belford
  • Beadnell
  • Chatton
  • Eglingham
  • Ellingham
  • Embleton
Other Places in the Parish
  • Bamburgh
  • Bamburgh Castle
  • Fowberry
  • Burton
  • Glororum
  • Budle
  • Monks House
  • Megstone
  • Spindlestone
  • Shoreston
  • Bradford
  • Waren Mill
  • Outchester
  • Seahouses
  • Elford
  • North Sunderland
  • Fleetham
  • West Fleetham
  • Swinhoe
  • Farne Islands
Nonconformists
  • Presbyterian
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BAMBROUGH CASTLE, a township in Bambrough parish, Northumberland; on the coast, contiguous to Bambrough township, 5 miles E of Belford. Acres, 1,724; of which 1,134 are water. Pop., 38. Houses, 5. A famous castle was founded here, about the year 554, by Ida, first king of Northumbria, consort of Queen Bebba; and gave rise to the adjacent town. The site of it is a rugged, triangular, basaltic rock, projecting into the sea, rising 150 feet above the watermark, and accessible only from the SE side. The original pile was formed chiefly of wood; yet made a great figure through out the troubled times of the Northumbrian kings. A stronger structure, with Norman tower and Norman keep, was built principally about 1070; and this acted a part in most of the contests which shook the country, down to the reign of Edward IV.; but sustained very severe injury in a siege after the battle of Hexham. It passed, along with the manor, by grant of the Crown in the time of James I., to the family of Forster; underwent for feiture in 1715, on account of its owner, Thomas Forster, having joined the Pretender; and was purchased by that gentleman’s maternal uncle, Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham, and bequeathed by him, under trustees, for charitable uses. The structure, as it now stands, includes a space of eight acres, and contains stores, schools, and a public library for the benefit of the surrounding population, together with numerous, constant, effective appliances for the rescue and relief of shipwrecked mariners. The Farn islands, with accompanying rocks and shoals, so dangerous to navigation, are in the offing; and the appliances at Bambrough Castle are held in continual readiness, under resident managers and continual patrols, to afford succour to the endangered or the shipwrecked. The great tower commands an extensive view; and one of the apartments has some interesting portraits and four large ancient pieces of tapestry. Grace Darling, who acted so very heroically at the wreck of the Forfarshire steamer, lies interred in the neighbouring churchyard.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Adderstone

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Adderstone, a township, in the parish of Bambrough, union of Belford, N. division of Bambrough ward and of Northumberland, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Belford; containing 302 inhabitants. The manor was possessed by the ancient family of Forster, from whom it came, in 1763, to John William Bacon, Esq., by whom the present handsome mansion, which stands near the site of the old hall, on the west bank of the Warn, was erected, and whose successor sold the estate to J. Pratt, Esq. Twizell House is also situated in the township.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Adderstone, a township in the chapelry of Bambrough, Northumberland; 3 miles south-east by south from Belford; on the post-road from Berwick to Alnwick. Pop., in 1801, 300; in 1831, 322. Houses 55. Poor rates, in 1837, £178.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Mouson or Mowson

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Mouson, or Mowson, a township in Bambrough parish, Northumberland; 1 mile S of Belford. Acres, 752. Pop., 82. Houses, 14. There is a Roman camp.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Further Reading

Old Seahouses Paperback – 30 Oct 2014 by Katrina Porteous

Ghostly Northumberland Paperback – Illustrated, 14 Jul 2008 by Rob Kirkup (Author)

A History of Northumberland, Vol. 1: The Parish of Bamburgh, With the Chapelry of Belford (Classic Reprint) by Edward Bateson 22 Apr 2018

Bamburgh Castle (The Home Of Lord & Lady Armstrong) by Jarrold Colour Publications

Story of St Aidan’s Church, Bamburgh, with Notes on the Castle

Bamburgh, Seahouses, Beadnell and The Farnes by Frank Graham