Grendon Bishop, Herefordshire Family History Guide

Grendon Bishop is an Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1739 from a former chapelry in Bromyard Ancient Parish.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Parish church: St. John the Baptist

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1663
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660

Nonconformists: Primitive Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Other Places in the Parish include:

  • Newbury
  • Horsnett
  • Westington Court
  • Brockington
  • Little Common
  • Grendon Green

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GRENDON BISHOP, a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford; gear the Bromyard and Leominster railway, 4 miles WNW of Bromyard. Post town, Bromyard, under Worcester. Acres, 1,689. Real property, £1,829. Pop., 199. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few. There is an ancient camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £85. Patron, the Vicar of Bromyard. The church was rebuilt in 1788, and is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

The Post Office Directory Of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, and The City Of Bristol 1863

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Bromyard
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Frome
  • Poor Law Union: Bromyard
  • Hundred: Broxash
  • Province: Canterbury
Advertisements

Photographs