Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EASTNOR, a parish in Ledbury district, Hereford; under the Malvern hills, near the Worcester and Hereford railway, 1¼ mile E of Ledbury. It has a post office under Ledbury. Acres, 3,186. Real property, £3,664; of which £22 are in quarries. Pop., 478. Houses, 105. The property is not much divided. The parish gives the title of Viscount to Earl Somers. Eastnor Castle, the Earl’s seat, is a splendid mansion, on the plan of ancient baronial castles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value not reported. Patron, Earl Somers. The church was recently rebuilt; and contains monuments of the Somers family.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps