Last Updated on

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Downton on the Rock

Parish church: St. Giles

Parish registers begin:

* Parish registers: 1728
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include:

Parishes near to Downton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DOWNTON, a parish in the district of Ludlow and county of Hereford; on the river Teme, near the boundary with Salop, 5 miles SW of Bromfield r. station, and 5½ W by S of Ludlow. Post town, Leintwardine, Herefordshire. Acres, 1,201. Real property, with Aston and Burrington, £3,750. Pop., 184. Houses, 25. Downton Castle here is a spacious modern edifice, in mixed Grecian and Gothic styles, built by R. P. Knight, Esq., to exemplify his “Analytical Enquiry;” and stands amid romantic scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £154. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1862, and is in the early English style, somewhat richly decorated.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

The Post Office Directory Of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, and The City Of Bristol 1863

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records

Church records

Bishop’s transcripts for Downton, 1605-1872

Parish registers of Downton, 1728-1991

Church records – Indexes

Computer printout of Downton, Herefs., Eng

Census

Census returns for Downton, 1841-1891

Taxation

Land tax assessments for the parish of Downton, 1782-1830

Maps

Administration

County: Herefordshire
Civil Registration District: Ludlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Hereford
Rural Deanery: Clun
Poor Law Union: Ludlow
Hundred: Wigmore
Province: Canterbury

Photographs