Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Basford, Cellar Head, Chadderton, Wetley Rocks, Consall, Cunsall, Rownall, and Cheddleton and Rownall.
Parish church: St. Edward
Parish registers begin:
* Parish registers: 1696; Separate records exist for Wetley Rocks beginning 1834
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676; Separate records exist for Wetley Rocks beginning 1835
Parishes near to Cheddleton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Cheddleton, a township and a parish in Cheadle district, Stafford. The township is conjoint with Rownall township, including part of Cellar-Head hamlet; lies on the Uttoxeter canal and the North Stafford railway, 2 ½ miles S of Leek; and has a station on the railway. Real property, £8,300. Pop., 1,802. Houses, 377. The parish contains also the townships of Cunsall and Basford; and its post-town is Leek, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 9,080. Real property, £14,213. Pop., 2,050. Houses, 426. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £160. Patron. The Rev. E. Powys. The church is old but good. The p. curacy of Wetley-Rocks is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £21 from endowment; and other charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Day Thomas; and Thomas Appleby; Cheddleton, Staffordshire, paper manufacturers, April 27, 1841.
Family History Links
|Bing Maps UK||Map||OS maps||Aerial||Bird’s Eye|
|Vision of Britain historical maps||Map||OS maps|
|Ordnance Survey||OS maps|
|National Library of Scotland||OS maps|
Civil Registration District: Cheadle
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leek
Poor Law Union: Cheadle
Hundred: North Totmonslow