Last Updated on
Haynes, an Ancient Parish in the county of Bedfordshire.
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Hawnes
Parish registers begin:
* Parish registers: 1596
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Haynes
- Cardington Bedfordshire
- Houghton Conquest
- Old Warden
Historical Descriptions of Haynes
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAWNES, or HAYNES, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 3 miles W of Southill r. station, and 4 NE of Ampthill; and has a post-office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2,561 acres. Real property, £3,990. Pop., 932. Houses, 196. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Newdegates, passed to the Carterets, and belongs now to Lord John Thynne. Grange Farm belonged to Chicksands priory; and is an interesting old edifice, with a fine staircase. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500. Patron, Sir George R. Osborn, Bart. The church is early decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; contains the vault of the Carteret family; and was restored in 1850. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Haynes, 3½ m. N.E. Selsoe. P. 913.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Ampthill
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Fleete
Poor Law Union: Ampthill