Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin:
* Parish registers: 1562
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Steppingley
Historical Descriptions of Steppingley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STEPPINGLEY, a parish, with a village, in Ampthill district, Beds; 3¼ miles S of Ampthill r. station. Post town, Ampthill. Acres, 1,060. Real property, £1,899. Pop., 365. Houses, 85. The manor be1ongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £266. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and is in the early decorated and later English styles.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stepingley, a parish in the hund. of Redborne-Stoke, union of Ampthill, county of Bedford; 2¼ miles south-west of Ampthill. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. of Bedford, formerly in the dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Ely; rated at £6 16s. 3d.; gross income £289. Patron, in 1841, the Duke of Bedford. Charities, 10s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £205 7s. Acres 1,060. Houses 69. Pop., in 1801, 264; in 1831, 348.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Steppingley, 2 miles S.W. Ampthill. P. 377
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Ampthill
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Fleete
Poor Law Union: Ampthill