Last Updated on

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Steventon

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

* Parish registers: 1654
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Stevington

Historical Descriptions of Stevington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STEVENTON, or Stevington, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 2 miles WNW of Oakley r. station, and 5 NW of Bedford. It has a postal pillar-box under Bedford. Acres, 1,950. Real property, £2,606. Pop., 606. Houses, 148. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £204. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is ancient. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a handsome school of 1863, and alms houses with £40 a year.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Stevington, 4½ miles N.W. Bedford. P. 602

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Bedfordshire
Civil Registration District: Bedford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford
Diocese: Pre-1837 – Lincoln, Post-1836 – Ely
Rural Deanery: Clapham
Poor Law Union: Bedford
Hundred: Willey
Province: Canterbury