Last Updated on

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Broughton Giffard

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

* Parish registers: 1665
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Broughton Gifford

  • Shaw
  • Great Chalfield
  • Whaddon
  • Melksham
  • Holt

 

Historical Descriptions of Broughton Gifford

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROUGHTON-GIFFORD, a parish in Bradford district, Wilts; on the Great Western railway and the river Avon, near the Kennet and Avon canal, 1½ mile SW of Melksham r. station, and 4 ENE of Bradford. It has a post office under Melksham. Acres, 1,677. Real property, £3,707. Pop., 621. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. Broughton-Gifford House is the seat of the Staples family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £355. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the time of Henry VII.; was recently restored; and has a brass of 1620. There are a Baptist chapel, a school with £20, and other charities with £12.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Bradford on Avon
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Potterne
Poor Law Union: Bradford
Hundred: Bradford
Province: Canterbury