Last Updated on

Status: Chapelry

Parish church: St. John the Baptist

Parish registers begin:

* Parish registers: 1697 see also Westport St Mary
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609; 1619

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Brokenborough

Historical Descriptions of Brokenborough

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROKENBOROUGH, a parish in Malmesbury district, Wilts.; on Akeman-street, 2 miles NW of Malmesbury, and 7¼ W by S of Minety r. station. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 2,552. Real property, £3,732. Pop., 503. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings; and passed to the Molines. Some Roman remains have been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Malmesbury
Hundred: Malmesbury
Province: Canterbury