Last Updated on

Status: All Saints

Alternative names: Broad Chalk

Other place in the parish include: Knighton, Stoke Farthing, Stoke Fathing

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

* Parish registers: 1538
* Bishop’s Transcripts:

Nonconformists include: Independent

Parishes adjacent to Broad Chalke

  • Bower Chalke
  • Martin
  • Bishopstone
  • Fovant
  • Fifield Bavant
  • Compton Chamberlayne
  • Burcombe

 

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROAD-CHALK, a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands in the vale of Chalk, near Cranborne Chase, 4 miles S by E of Dinton r. station, and 5½ SW of Wilton; and has a post office under Salisbury. It was for some time the residence of John Aubrey, the antiquary. The parish includes also the hamlets of Knighton and Stoke-Farthing. Acres, 6,904. Real property, with Bower-Chalk, £9,812. Pop., 796. Houses, 164. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Gawens; and was given to Wilton Abbey. An ancient camp, of 5 acres, occurs at Bury-Orchard; and a barrow, called Gawen’s Barrow, is near the camp. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bower-Chalk, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £336. Patron, King’s College, Cambridge. The church belongs to the time of Henry VIII., with a Norman doorway on the west; and is in good condition. There is an Independent chapel; and the foundation stone of a new one, to be in the Gothic style, was laid in 1862.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Wilton
Hundred: Chalk
Province: Canterbury