Last Updated on
Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Cowage, Cowich
Parish registers begin:
* Parish registers: 1813
* Bishop’s Transcripts: 1677
Parishes adjacent to Bremilham
- Westport St Mary
Historical Descriptions of Bremilham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BREMILHAM, or Cowage, a parish in Malmesbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, near Akeman-street, 2 miles SW by W of Malmesbury, and 9 WSW of Minety r. station. Post Town, Malmesbury, under Chippenham. Acres, 433. Real property, with Westport and Foxley, £6,335. Pop., 29. Houses, 5. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £121. Patron, the Hon. and Rev. R. Bowles. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Bankrupts from Bremilham
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Buckland William, the Light, Bremilham, Wilts, tanner, July 24, 1840.
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Malmesbury