Bishops Cannings, Wiltshire Family History Guide
Bishop’s Cannings is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Horton, Easton, Coate, Coase, and Bourton.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Bishops Cannings
Historical Descriptions of Bishops Cannings
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BISHOPS-CANNINGS, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Devizes, Wilts. The village stands on the Kent and Avon canal, 1½ mile S of Wans Dyke, and 3 NE of Devizes r. station, and has a post office under Devizes. The parish includes the tythings of Bourton, Easton, Chittoe, Coate, and Horton, and the chapelry of St. James or Southbroom. Acres, 12,641. Real property, £11,114. Pop., 4,062. Houses, 750. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged, till the time of Henry VII., to the ancient family of Canynge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £395. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is early English, with Anglo-Norman interior; is supposed to have been built about the same time as Salisbury cathedral; was interiorly renovated in 1829; and contains an organ which cost £440, the gift of William Baley, a native, who went round the world with Captain Cook. The chapelries of Chittoe and Southbroom are separate charges. The subdistrict contains seven parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 22,892. Pop., 3,812. Houses, 854.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Devizes
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Avebury
Poor Law Union: Devizes
Hundred: Potterne and Cannings