Last Updated on

Staunton or Staunton near Coleford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Coal Pit Hill.

Alternative names: Staunton near Coleford

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1584

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Staunton

Historical Descriptions of Staunton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STAUNTON, a parish in the district of Monmouth and county of Gloucester; 3 miles E of Monmouth r. station. It has a post-office under Coleford. Acres, 1,517. Real property, £1,635. Pop., 202. Houses, 44. S. Hill commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £149. Patron, the Rev. E. Machen. The church is good. Charities, £32.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Directories

Staunton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Family History Links

Forest of Dean Family History Trust – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Gloucestershire
Civil Registration District: Monmouth
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Forest
Poor Law Union: Monmouth
Hundred: St Briavels
Province: Canterbury

Photographs