Last Updated on

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Siston

Parish church: St. Anne

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1570
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1596

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Syston

 

Historical Descriptions of Syston

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SISTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester; 1½ mile E by S of Mangotsfield r. station, and 6 ENE of Bristol. Post town, Fishponds, under Bristol. Acres, 1,827. Real property, £4,731; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 938. Houses, 195. The manor, with S. Court, belongs to F. B. N. Dickenson, Esq. Malting and the manufacture of spelter and stone pipes are carried on. A Roman settlement was at Over. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £360. Patron, F. B. N. Dickenson, Esq. The church is old but good. A section with a pop. of 595 is in Warmley chapelry. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Syston Parish Registers

  Baptisms Marriages Burials
Archive.org 1583-1702 1583-1702 1583-1702

 

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Vision of Britain historical maps

Further Reading

Sixteenth Century Court Book of Siston by Barbara Tuttiett

Administration

County: Gloucestershire
Civil Registration District: Keynsham
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
Poor Law Union: Keynsham
Hundred: Pucklechurch
Province: Canterbury

Photographs