Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1727
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1698
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Chelmondiston
- Nacton with Levington
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Chelmondiston, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the estuary of the river Orwell, 5¾ miles E by S of Bentley Junction r. station, and 6 SSE of Ipswich. It has a post-office under Ipswich, Acres, 1,627; of which 340 are water. Real property, £2,870. Pop., 949. Houses, 206. The property is divided among a few. Fisheries and the making of Roman cement are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £347. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and was recently in need of repair. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Samford
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk
Rural Deanery: Samford
Poor Law Union: Samford