Docklow, Herefordshire Family History Guide
Docklow is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Herefordshire, created in 1745 from chapelry in Leominster Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Docklow Gate and Hampton Wafer.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1584
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1661
Parishes adjacent to Docklow
- Hampton Wafer
- Edvin Ralph
- New Hampton
- Grendon Bishop
- Marston Stannett
Historical Descriptions of Docklow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOCKLOW, a parish in Leominster district, Hereford; on an affluent of the river Wye, 4 miles NE by E of Ford-Bridge r. station, and 5 E by S of Leominster. Post town, Stoke-Prior. Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial tract of Hampton-Wafer, 1,715. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 185. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke-Prior, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Docklow, a parish in the hund. of Wolphy, union of Leominster, county of Hereford; 4½ miles east by south of Leominster, near a branch of the Wye. It includes the township of Fencott. Living, a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Stoke Prior. Charities, about £4 10s. per annum. About 130 acres of hops are annually reared here. Acres 1,420. Houses 35. A. P. £1,631. Pop , in 1801, 160; in 1831, 199. Poor rates, in 1837, £89.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Docklow (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Leominster; containing, with the township of Fencott, 215 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Worcester to Leominster, and consists of 1711 acres: there are several quarries of stone of good quality, both for building and for repairing the roads. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Stoke-Prior; the glebe comprises about 60 acres. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Leominster
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Leominster
Poor Law Union: Leominster