Dorstone, Herefordshire Family History Guide
Dorstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Lower Dorstone, Vowmine, and Upper Dorstone.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1733
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Dorstone
Historical Descriptions of Dorstone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DORSTONE, a village, two townships, and a parish in the district of Hay and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Dore, near the Hereford and Brecon railway, 5½ miles E of Hay; and has fairs on 27 April, 18 May, 27 Sep., and 18 Nov. The townships are Upper and Lower Dorstone; and lie around the village. The parish includes also part of the township of Vowmine. Post town, Bredwardine, under Hereford. Acres, 5,385. Real property, £4,354. Pop., 547. Houses, 120. The property is divided among a few. A castle stood anciently at the village, and another at Snodhill. A stone column, thought by some to be Druidical, crowns a hill near the village, and is seen at a considerable distance. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £446. Patron, the Rev. T. Powell. The church is old and good; and was originally Norman. Charities, £81.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Church records – Indexes
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
Civil Registration District: Hay
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weobley
Poor Law Union: Hay