Eardisland, Herefordshire Family History Guide
Eardisland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other Places in the Parish: Upper Hardwick, Lower Hardwick, Lower Burton, Lower Bearwood, Bearwood, Barewood
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1614
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
There is an ancient Grammar school of which the Rev James Powell MA is head master now used as a village school endowed with about £50 per annum, the boys belonging to the parish being educated free, and girls paying weekly pence. Source: The Post Office Directory Of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, and The City Of Bristol 1863
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EARDISLAND, a parish in Weobly district, Hereford; on the river Arrow, near Watling-street and the Leominster and Kington railway, 2 miles E of Pembridge r. station, and 5 W of Leominster. It has a post office under Pembridge. Acres, 4, 455. Real property, £8, 210. Pop., 894. Houses, 201. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £198. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is old and plain, and was recently in dis-repair. Charities, £51.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Southall John, Eardisland, Herefordsh., victualler & blacksmith, Apr. 30, 1839.
- Google Streetview
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain historical maps
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Weobley
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Weobley
- Hundred: Stretford
- Province: Canterbury